October 1, 2005
I have become frustrated with the modern fantasy genre for the moment and have begun reading Lord Jim. I went looking through my brother's books and he's always raving about Joseph Conrad. It is so refreshing to read something by somebody who can really write. The writing style is fantastic. He has molded the English language into a work of art. And to think the man didn't even begin to learn the language until he was in his early twenties. I've decided I really love the old style of writing and I want to learn to emulate it. I'll have to read more by authors from the first half of the twentieth century. Those were days when writing was an art form and publishing was different. My reading of Lord Jim is going very slowly, but it doesn't matter because I hang on every word and it's music to my ears. I may make my way through a number of my brother's books.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home