January 27, 2005
I've finally finished Into the Forge! Huzzah! And it only took me four months to do it! Eesh. I read many reviews for it on Amazon that were negative and found myself agreeing with most of them. The elves are boring, I can't stand the way everybody uses different words for the same things, and the way McKiernan uses elvish words like they're part of this language is annoying. The languages themselves, which he 'makes up,' are obviously English-based in structure. Looks like somebody never studied languages. I'm still debating over whether or not to read the second book: it's a good deal longer and from what I've read it's not going to get much better. I feel like I should read everything I can get my hands on, though, if I want to be a good writer. I can just as easily pick up tips on what not to do. I still like Beau's character, though, even if he tends to repeat himself. Maybe that's just because in my head he's played by Dominic Monaghan and ever since Lost started I've been in love with the guy.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home