Fantasia

Rants (and occasionally raves) about fantasy writing by a fantasy writer.

Name:
Location: Oregon, United States

I'm a college student working on a degree in Medieval Studies. I love fiction in many forms. I do well in English and history classes and not so well in math or science. I don't have any definite plans for marriage in my future, and I don't want to get married until it is an act that does not discriminate. My career plan is a fantasy novelist, probably for young adults and children.

Wednesday, September 21, 2005

November 1, 2004

Reading on Into the Forge is going slow because I do most of my reading between classes, and I have people I talk to in most of them. I don't read much of it at home, but I want to -- I read The Sword of Shannara that way a year ago. At the rate it's going, I'll finish the duology by the end of the school year. Maybe if I'd spend more time reading and less time watching Homicide and pretending to write, I'd get it done sooner. I wish I would read like I used to. In grade school I would knock off one book after another, and I read many more than once. Damn internet fanfiction! I want to read more real books. It's a shame I'm so picky about my fantasy. I prefer epic fantasy or heroic, and I just hate the post-modern dreamworld impressionistic formalistic neo-phantasy that Tor is so keen on publishing nowadays. I like fantasy that has familiar things, old elements, people drawn from actual cultures. The old folktale elements feel so much more real than all that dreamworld stuff.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home